I’m rarely awake enough in the morning to make breakfast, so I don’t feel the need to limit eggs to a morning meal. They work for lunch and dinner, trust me. I’ve also never baked eggs, so I really wanted to give this recipe a try. It fit right in with this week’s Mexican theme, so it’s eggs for dinner tonight!
These Mexican Baked Eggs are delicious and versatile. I have served them for brunch and dinner, and they were a hit at both. It is a hearty meal, and you will definitely be full and wishing you didn’t eat so much after you are finished.
This is another recipe with a medium-length ingredients list. Fortunately, everything was easy to find and inexpensive. A few things to note, though:
- 1/4 tsp. chili pepper is actually chili powder
- It’s not specified, so I didn’t drain the canned green chilis
- I used 6 eggs (more than enough for 2 servings)
- And I used medium salsa as a topping
My Mexican baked eggs were ready in 44 minutes. That includes 7 minutes to prep and 37 to cook. I added some cooking time to make sure the egg yolks were set as that’s the way my husband likes them. Specifically:
- Step 4: I increased the cooking time to 7 minutes
- Step 6: I broiled the baked eggs for 4 minutes
I ended up with over-hard eggs topped with cheese that was nicely browned.
Tip: Be sure to adjust your oven racks before you preheat your oven. You’ll need one in the middle and one just under the broiler.