This is a quick and simple recipe I make again and again. It goes with just about any main, and grilling asparagus makes it so much better than any other way I’ve ever had it. So without further ado, here is my grilled asparagus recipe.
This post was originally published on May 9, 2017. The text, photos, and recipe were updated on July 31, 2021. The text and recipe were also updated on April 12, 2023.
Just 4 ingredients to this grilled asparagus recipe and you will probably have everything but the asparagus in your pantry: fresh asparagus, extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
You can use sea salt or regular table salt but go easy. I like kosher salt because I can be generous with it and still not oversalt.
As for the pepper, freshly ground is the best. I usually use black peppercorns, but mixed/rainbow peppercorns are just as good. You can use the bottled stuff, but it’s never as tasty. Fresh just adds an extra pop that you can really taste.
I like to use my grill wok to keep the asparagus from falling through your grill’s grate. No worries if you don’t have one—you can always use foil, but it doesn’t crisp up the asparagus quite as well. The rest is very simple and doesn’t even require measuring.
Preheat your grill to medium-high while you do the prep work. Snap or cut off the tough ends of the asparagus and place them into the grill wok. Drizzle them with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
I like my asparagus crisp, so I grill mine for 12-15 minutes, turning once in the middle of cooking. Of course, you can always adjust that time to suit your taste.
Yes, that’s all there is to it! I do sometimes add spices like garlic powder, sage, and thyme, but most of the time I stick with salt and pepper. It keeps things simple and allows the flavor of the asparagus to really shine through.
Looking for more tips on grilling asparagus?
Check out this detailed article from Traeger Grills on How to Grill Asparagus. It has tons of info on grilling asparagus from start to finish. I consider myself a pro at grilling asparagus, and even I learned a thing to two!
- grill wok or foil
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus spears trimmed*
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and dry the asparagus. Dry spears get a better sear and are crisper.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Snap off or trim the tough woody ends of the asparagus and place them into a grilling wok/pan or onto a piece of foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings** you like, then toss to coat.
- Grill on medium-high for 12 to 15 minutes***, flipping once halfway through cooking. You'll know they're ready when the asparagus tips just begin to char, and the color turns to a deeper green. Serve immediately.